Please support my 2015 BP MS150 ride!

Please support my 2015 BP MS150 ride!
click on the pic to donate to Andy

Credit

Although this blog was originally created by Andy Brickell and continues to be updated by him, the design and layout of the page is credited to his daughter, Mary-Claire Brickell. She's pretty awesome.

Monday, January 7, 2008

1 down, 2 to go

Got the road bike back on Saturday (looking fine!) but couldn't ride until Sunday noon, by which time the wind had picked up nicely, to what felt like half a gale. As my buddy Ian said, it looked like windsurfing weather, not cycling, but I went out anyway. Dale was golfing so I was a lone wolf. I rode the Bear Creek-Terry Hershey loop, starting out northbound on Eldridge with the wind at my back. The Barker-Cypress section was a bit ugly - traffic and dead into the wind - but George Bush was OK, especially the part along Barker-Clodine. The north side of the dam was a bit of a slog (it always is) and of course the east side was murder - straight into the wind, no buildings or trees for shelter. After that, Terry Hershey was a walk in the park - almost literally as there was a lot of foot traffic. The most memorable part of the ride was right at the end - coming up to cross Wilcrest I couldn't decide if there was a big enough gap in the traffic, and left it too late to get my shoe unclipped from the pedal. Down I went on the side of the road, scraping my knee and elbow and putting a big dent in my pride. When I got the clipless pedals, the man at REI told me that I would fall off like this three times before I learned how to use the pedals. Two more to go -

No comments:

Bear Creek - Terry Hershey loop

Bear Creek - Terry Hershey loop

Daily commute to work

Daily commute to work
This isn't quite right but it's close. 9.5 miles, about 40 minutes.

Terry Hershey Park

Terry Hershey Park
10 miles of safe, paved cycling bliss - except for all the foot traffic

The Sealy ride

The Sealy ride
45 miles through very pretty Texas countryside. Looks benign but there's a very hilly section at mile 35.

The Katy ride

The Katy ride
It's on the Katy prairie - flat, flat, flat