Please support my 2015 BP MS150 ride!

Please support my 2015 BP MS150 ride!
click on the pic to donate to Andy

Credit

Although this blog was originally created by Andy Brickell and continues to be updated by him, the design and layout of the page is credited to his daughter, Mary-Claire Brickell. She's pretty awesome.

Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow day in Houston!

A little ice on the roads and the country's fourth largest city grinds to a halt, with wrecks on every overpass.  I've been told to work from home today but that's a little challenging without my "laptop" (which is huge and has a brick that weighs more than my other devices combined, so I didn't bring it home on my bike yesterday), so time to update my blog.

Once again last weekend we planned to do the Pattison-Bellville out and back and once again we failed.  Kevin bailed on Friday night due to work commitments and Larry, while game for a ride, didn't want to stray far from home as he's remodelling and has a lot to do at weekends.  So he and I agreed to do the 48 mile route out and back from his house.

Another beautiful morning with less wind for once.  Fairly foggy on the way out to Pecan Grove but it had cleared by the time I arrived (an 8 o'clock start didn't hurt, c'mon Larry get out of bed dude).  We geared up and headed out through his neighbourhood.

Without Kevin forcing the pace we were happy to tool along at around 17mph.  I was working but Larry was riding well within himself.  15 miles in and Larry pulled up to check his tires - sure enough the front was soft, so we pulled over to fix it.   This didn't go very well - Larry's spare tube had a hole in it somewhere but it took two gas bottles before he worked it out.  I gave him my tube and bottle and persuaded him that my poor boy crack pipe gas bottle adapter worked better than his much fancier but rather old one, and we were finally back in business.

This had cost us 30 minutes and after a late start I couldn't really justify the full ride (poor Susan would be starving by the time I got home), so we agreed to add a few more miles and then turn around north of Fulshear.

Although there really wasn't much wind, it was enough to make the run home more enjoyable and we made pretty good time,  Back at Larry's place and I got him to put some of his recovery drink powder in y bottle (yuck).  As a reward I also took a few sausage pinwheels freshly baked by Sheri  much more palatable.

Will we ever get to do the Pattison route?  I hope so because we'll go past what Rick at work calls his "car farm", a property where he stores his collection of more than 40 1971 Dodge Chargers.

No comments:

Bear Creek - Terry Hershey loop

Bear Creek - Terry Hershey loop

Daily commute to work

Daily commute to work
This isn't quite right but it's close. 9.5 miles, about 40 minutes.

Terry Hershey Park

Terry Hershey Park
10 miles of safe, paved cycling bliss - except for all the foot traffic

The Sealy ride

The Sealy ride
45 miles through very pretty Texas countryside. Looks benign but there's a very hilly section at mile 35.

The Katy ride

The Katy ride
It's on the Katy prairie - flat, flat, flat