Please support my 2015 BP MS150 ride!

Please support my 2015 BP MS150 ride!
click on the pic to donate to Andy

Credit

Although this blog was originally created by Andy Brickell and continues to be updated by him, the design and layout of the page is credited to his daughter, Mary-Claire Brickell. She's pretty awesome.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

An unlikely ear-worm

Robin Trower in full flight in 1975
Kevin and I are still building a base before increasing the mileage, and he had band practise at 11 today, so we opted for the four-park loop staring from chez moi.  This also allowed a slightly later start, never a bad thing.  I was actually doing warm-up loops on Kimberley when he arrived, instead of scrambling to get my gear together.

Great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ, as my Mum always added) - Kevin suggested riding the route in reverse, and that had occurred to me already.  Riding out on Eldridge and back on Memorial would eliminate a couple of left turns on busy roads, always a good idea, so off we went.

We hadn't discussed pace but settled on around 18mph, with the occasional burst at 20+.  Kevin was looking as strong as ever and he dropped me a few times.  He had already warned me that I was in for a torrid time due to his latest earworm, a few favourite tracks by Robin Trower that I didn't know.  Later on I had a listen to one of them, "Bridge of Sighs", and enjoyed it but found it an odd choice, with a fairly slow tempo.  Anyway, he seemed to be rocking along pretty well with it in his head.

We got through George Bush and decided to finish out the ride through Terry Hershey park, instead of running down Memorial in Saturday mid-morning traffic.  Kevin used to run in the park back when he was first in Houston (30-odd years ago!) and wanted to see how much it had changed.  He also remembered trapping armadillos and other critters in a friend's back yard and wanted to see if the house was still there (it was).  Foot and bike traffic slowed the pace quite a bit but I was glad to ease off, I think he was too.


No comments:

Bear Creek - Terry Hershey loop

Bear Creek - Terry Hershey loop

Daily commute to work

Daily commute to work
This isn't quite right but it's close. 9.5 miles, about 40 minutes.

Terry Hershey Park

Terry Hershey Park
10 miles of safe, paved cycling bliss - except for all the foot traffic

The Sealy ride

The Sealy ride
45 miles through very pretty Texas countryside. Looks benign but there's a very hilly section at mile 35.

The Katy ride

The Katy ride
It's on the Katy prairie - flat, flat, flat